Light is an important gameplay aspect of The Forest. While the peninsula is mostly illuminated during the day due to bright sunlight, after the sun has set or if the player decides to venture into the caves, the need for man-made light becomes clear.
Cannibals and mutants spot lit light sources in the night and will approach them to investigate. While cannibals are afraid of fire and will therefore keep their distance to open fires, mutants are not. This should be taken into consideration if the player builds large fires in open spaces.
There are several light sources that can be obtained or crafted. They are either stationary, as they are a building object, or portable, in the case of portable light sources. Below is a list of objects emitting light.
Stationary Light Sources
- Skull Lamp (does not need to be relit)
- Hanging Skull Lamp (does not need to be relit)
- Bone Chandelier (does not need to be relit)
Portable Light Sources
- Plane Axe - With a fire upgrade
- Crafted Axe - With a fire upgrade
- Rusty Axe - With a fire upgrade
- Modern Axe - With a fire upgrade
- Upgraded Stick - With a fire upgrade
- Crafted Club - With a fire upgrade
- Lighter (infinite usage)
- Flares and the Flare Gun
- Dead Cannibals with lights on their heads - Can be carried around as a light source